Inquiry into management of Murray–Darling Basin water resources
The Interim Inspector-General of Murray–Darling Basin Water Resources, Mick Keelty AO, is undertaking an Inquiry into the management of Murray–Darling Basin water resources. This is at the request of the Hon David Littleproud MP, Minister for Water Resources, Drought, Rural Finance, Natural Disaster and Emergency Management.
The Interim Inspector-General would like to hear from stakeholders across the Basin to inform aspects of the Inquiry.
This Inquiry is conducted independent to the Department of Agriculture. The Inquiry will be completed, and a report provided to the Minister, by 31 March 2020.
Matters to be taken into consideration in the Inquiry are:
- Impact of changing distribution of inflows to the southern Basin on state shares under the Murray–Darling Basin Agreement.
- Any consequential impacts on state water shares resulting from reserves required under the Murray–Darling Basin Agreement. This includes how these interact with state water allocation policies.
If you want to make a referral that is not relevant to this particular inquiry, please use the Interim Inspector-General Murray–Darling Basin referral form(External link).
The Interim Inspector-General is exploring the scope of the Inquiry through these 4 themes:
- Inflows and supply into the Murray–Darling Basin.
- Delivery of water.
- Water sharing.
- Potential opportunities for enhancement.
Have your say
We invite you to provide your input to the Inquiry by:
- completing the online survey by Sunday 19 January 2020 (where you can also express your interest in participating in a private hearing) and/or
- attending an open town hall session.
We acknowledge the challenges some communities may be experiencing due to the bushfires. To give all stakeholders the opportunity to attend, we have delayed the end of the survey and town hall sessions. This will not affect the timeline for completing the inquiry.
Complete the online survey by 19 January 2020.
To register your interest in attending a session, email firstname.lastname@example.org(External link) indicating your preferred location.
Town hall sessions
The Interim Inspector-General will hold open town hall sessions at the following locations. Please arrive at 9.45 am for a prompt start.
|Swan Hill||Tuesday 21 January 2020||10.00 – 11.00 am||Swan Hill Town Hall,|
53-57 McCallum St,
|Deniliquin||Thursday 23 January 2020||10.00 – 11.00 am||Deniliquin RSL Club,|
72 End Street,
|Mildura||Wednesday 29 January 2020||10.00 – 11.00 am||Alfred Deakin Centre|
190 Deakin Avenue,
|Renmark||Thursday 30 January 2020||10.00 – 11.00 am||Renmark Hotel,|
|Griffith||Wednesday 5 February 2020||10.00 – 11.00 am||Griffith Leagues Club,|
2 Bridge Road